Tuesday, February 03, 2009

free association tidbits

I say "free association" because in the technical sense, the following sprawling thoughts aren't actually random. I don't think anything is random; what might appear as randomness to the listening subject actually has a linkage in the mind of the speaking subject.

[which reminds me of Kristeva, which reminds me of reading, which reminds me...]

I miss my books. Today my fingers itched to turn through the pages of A. S. Byatt's Little Black Book of Stories, but scratching that itch would require a long frigid hunt through piles of boxes in my parents' garage.

I might do it anyway. I've been reading some very entertaining pulp fiction, but it's like subsisting on candy when you really want a sandwich. And I really want a sandwich.

[which reminds me of the McDonald's bag still in my car that I have to throw away, which reminds me of my car, which reminds me...]

In other news, I'm once again able to drive my Henrietta! Having a CD stereo back in my car changes the face of driving entirely.

[and now my stomach just growled, which reminds me that I couldn't eat breakfast this morning which reminds me...]

After pulling down the loaf of bread I've been keeping at the office for peanut butter toast in the mornings and finding it riddled with mold, I decided that if I could have a superpower it would be reversing entropy. Not only would my food never go bad again, but I could bring back Pompeii and potentially destroy the world by resurrecting it. Which is kind of cooler than flying.

And if I couldn't reverse entropy, my second chosen superpower would be controlling water, like in The Abyss. That's basically as close to omnipotence as one can get on planet Earth. And I could deep sea dive and never, ever drown.

[which reminds me that I'm thirsty, and tired, and should get up and get more coffee to put cream and sugar in for some calories which necessitates the ending of this post, which reminds me...]

No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....