Friday, February 06, 2009

squee!

Dustin and I are going to the Pittsburgh Symphony in a couple of weeks!

I love the Symphony. The last (and only) time I went was sometime around 2003 for Valentine's Day with college friends -- two of them were a couple, and the other was a single gal like me. The concert and the hall itself were stunning -- there's nothing like a live orchestra -- and it was fabulous to wear a gorgeous dress and sit in red velvet seats pretending sophistication. The only fly in my ointment that night was the couple making out in front of us. I think we threw bits of our program at them.

So I'm, as I say when speaking, as opposed to writing, "totally stoked" about this event. Mom has to buy a dress for a relative's wedding coming up soon, so she and I are going shopping after work today. I'm enjoying this chance to reverse my long desert of girlie moments and go all out squealing over fabrics and baubles.

Though Dustin informed me, in a tone of disbelief, upon checking with the hall, that there isn't a dress code, and people are known to attend the Symphony, on a Saturday evening, in jeans.

Only in Western PA.

6 comments:

Marianne said...

people were totally casual when we went to hear the messiah at christmas. we were pretty dressed up--me in a purple silk dress and david in his coat and tie. but the dressing up is so fun. we must turn back the tide of the casual degradation! to arms! or, to the racks!

The Prufroquette said...

Hear, hear! Once more unto the breach of propriety, dear friends, once more!

Rainey said...

I didn't know that such a disgusting custom was a Western PA thing. I hate, hate, HATE that people wear jeans to the theatre at nice hall. College is one thing, professional theatre/symphony is complete another! Ugh!

Have fun!

none said...

I always dress up for theater and the symphony as well (unless it's in the park). What piece(s) will you be hearing?!

Anonymous said...

First, it was jeans in the theater. Now, I see jeans in church. In an effort to appear more "connected" to modern life, our institutions relaxed their self-imposed dress codes.

I can no longer tell who the important people attending the theater are; who do I schmooze up to? How can I be a good Protestant, if I am not judging what people wore to church? Ack! I have to LISTEN to the sermon???

ShagearedVillain said...

Highlight of the traditional side of my Grove City experience: singing with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra as part of their Christmas concert. Yay semester in Touring Choir!

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....