Thursday, May 14, 2009

duck

Ack! Anti-Midas! Anti-Midas! Everything I'm touching turns to shit!

It's one of those days I haven't had in awhile, where unwitting past oversights in various work-related spheres blossom into real mistakes, and, scattered and flustered by their flowering, I'm too distracted to pay close attention to anything else, and so I screw up whatever I'm working on in the moment too.

Fortunately I'm viewing it with a sense of humor -- a slightly wide-eyed, manic sense of humor, it is true, but humor is humor and it's a remarkable improvement on yesterday, and, like I said, I haven't had one of these days in awhile, which is good; and every day ends, and tomorrow is new, and God redeems the time. Also, in the grand scheme of things, none of these little piles of poo are actually a big deal.

Still, this is one of those days which short of a flaming pillar of divine intervention resembles a fast-paced, mean game of dodgeball in a muddy field where I can't find any cover, and so my best bet is to crouch down with my arms over my head and wait till the universe grows bored of the barrage and moves on to torment someone else. Then I can slowly stand up, take stock of the bruises, and laugh at all the mud on my face, in my hair, and in my clothes.

In the meantime (somebody hide me!) I am taking deep breaths and repeating my beautiful new mantra:

Nada te turbe;
Nada te espante;
todo se pasa;
Dios no se muda,
la paciencia
todo lo alcanza.
Quién a Dios tiene
nada le falta.
Solo Dios basta.

~Teresa de Ávila

[Let nothing trouble you;
Let nothing make you afraid;
Everything passes;
God does not change,
patience accomplishes everything.
Who has God
lacks nothing.
God alone is enough.]

Lovely, isn't it? Peaceful. Soothing. True.

And one of my old, old favorites:

The Lord your God is with you;
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing.

~Zephaniah 3:17

Even when I'm muddy and puzzled and my hands are covered in poo.

No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....