Monday, May 11, 2009

polished glass on the beach of Monday

Verdict on Outer South (in a word): Fabulous. Perfect for rocking out to on a road trip, or enlivening a Monday morning. (Also for remaining cheerful in situations that would ordinarily ignite firestorms of road rage. The traffic on the way to Grove City consisted mainly of assholes who drove barely over the speed limit in the passing lane, boxing me behind them. One considerate gent gave me just the slightest opportunity to gap him on the right, and I blew through that hole like the Black Stallion. Pissed, he accelerated to try to prevent me from getting around him in time to avoid smashing into the back of the eighteen-wheeler ahead of me, but he underestimated my Toyota, my spacial relationship skills and my temper. He then proceeded angrily to ride my tail for the next few miles, although at that point I was doing a brisk eighty-five and he had only been going seventy. I didn't take any delight at all in boxing him in.)

The visit with MP and David was delightful, and a good time was had by all. They have the most adorable house in a picturesque little neighborhood. My favorite part of the house is the finished efficiency apartment on the third floor which they have adopted as the master bedroom. A tower-type bedroom is the coolest thing ever.

Today the migraine persists, as the colder weather persists, and, although it's sunny, I'm just about screamingly ready for some sultry June haze and sticky heat. (And I swear it will be at least a week after it hits before I start complaining about the sticky heat. At least it will be seasonal.)

Maybe warmer weather is good for my pain-prone head. I'll have to keep tabs this summer and see how often the migraines come and go and compare to winter. Since Cindy passed along the invaluable cure (cup of black coffee and two Excedrin tablets -- a kill-by-caffeine method to which this caffeinatic has no objection) they have been significantly more manageable, but I hope the warmer weather keeps them away altogether. I would like that.

Also this morning, having worn a flouncy skirt and strappy sandals to work with the thermometer kissing fifty, I am freezing. But it's springtime, dammit, and I'm dressing for spring.

Further along office lines are speculative stories we tell about the backyard next door. The old building was long ago turned into apartments, and the most interesting conglomeration of crap has accumulated over the years in that fenced-in yard, of which our second-floor kitchen window affords a perfect balcony view. Broken-down metal playground equipment from the 80s, broken-down plastic playground equipment from the 90s, a collapsed pool, a sand pit (once the location for the pool and at that time covered with a giant braided rug which has disappeared; the pool has inexplicably been moved, still collapsed, to a different part of the yard. Crop circles?), a sporadic clutter of chairs, an overturned patio table, a park bench: These are the backdrop to a daily different scene.

Today’s stage featured a badly failed attempt on someone’s part to prop a twenty-yard clothesline using dismembered pieces of the fence, which were not pounded into the soil but simply leaned at angles into one another and wound around and around with clothesline. An enormous, solid, very present tree at a convenient angle to the fence would not suffice, apparently. Predictably, at some point over the course of the blustery weekend, the whole thing collapsed “like a flan in a cupboard,” and now a colorful parade of drowned laundry trails across the lawn like a torn-down circus banner. Off to the side, this aftermath of tragedy is quietly witnessed by a red pair of grandpa slippers resting in comfortable solitude on the park bench.

The funny part of these bizarre tableaux is that you never see anyone back there. I have yet to witness a human being arranging any of this junk. It’s very much a work of chaotic art, a stop-motion film featuring the completed efforts of absent hands. Every time I look from my vantage point to the oddness below, I am overwhelmed by the ultimate question: Why? The flotsam and jetsam give no answer except to convey a sort of resigned restfulness, a waiting for eventual decay disturbed by the unfathomable proddings of humanity, which cannot leave entropy to itself but assists in its own strange and whimsical way.

I don’t know why, but it comforts at the same time that it amuses. There’s something loveable about the weird scenarios which engender our unanswerable speculations, something precious in the stubborn refusal to give up the ghost against all reason. And you never know what it's going to bring tomorrow.

4 comments:

none said...

I have likewise been dressing for spring, actual weather be damned! But I do carry a cardigan and a scarf with me just in case.

The Prufroquette said...

Exactly! Bare legs and a leather jacket.

Bring on the warm weather, man...I'm HUNGRY for some scorching sunshine. Then I can lie on the beach and brown in inversely proportionate degrees to the bleaching of the driftwood.

none said...

oh man, don't you just love that feeling when the sun is baking your skin? (through the SPF 50 sunblock, of course). Today, it is just barely reaching 70, and I'm wearing metallic sandals and a floaty white top, and they can't stop me! :)

The Prufroquette said...

Oh, I do, I do!

(SPF 50. Yes, of course. I wouldn't think of anything else...)

That luxurious boneless feeling of lying on a sheet or a towel and smelling the earth and the grass underneath you while above you the rays of the sun sink down through the pores of your skin and fill you with the lovely physicality of light so that your skin radiates in response and you feel liquid and the backs of your eyelids flare softly with a living red and every part of you feels at ease...

Yes, I love that.

Yay for metallic sandals and floaty white tops! I conceded to wear a lightweight long-sleeved thing, but I'm still sporting sandals, and, by golly, there are little ruffles on my skirt. And you're already summery skinned -- so lucky! I think my legs are blinding people when they catch a stray shaft of sunlight. Like a mirror. It seems they have no melatonin at ALL.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....