Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Today, if I could do anything I wanted, I would...

1. Wander the Natural History Museum at the Smithsonian for hours and hours and hours. Today's Google logo made me really want to look at dinosaur bones.

2. Climb all over Panama Rocks in Panama, New York, pretending I'm in Fangorn Forest. That's best for rainy days, though. When I was small my parents and sister and I took a day trip there. The weather was misty and damp; the rocks loomed in random-seeming piles, taller than several men; little clefts and pathways and crevices and caves twisted everywhere; the tree roots snaked down over the faces of the rocks; it was ferny-smelling and silent and old; a feeling of power emanated from the ground and from the low-bending trees; and my little-girl self stared around her in shivery awe, never wanting to leave. It was just before I knew about Ents, but if I'd seen one, I would have known right away what he was, and I would have clapped my hands and flitted into Middle-Earth without a backward glance.

2 comments:

none said...

Did I ever tell you about the summer I worked at the Natural History Museum? I spent most of my time in the basement, cataloging marine samples, but I did get to see some of the vast rooms of items not currently on display; they only show a small percentage of the whole collection.

The Prufroquette said...

LUCKY. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....