Monday, November 26, 2007

settled

It's winter again. Outside it's cold and snowing, and on my walk to the post office to get the office mail I realized that I really need warmer shoes, so, despite my renewed hatred of shopping, particularly at this time of year, it looks like a trip to Ye Olde Malle looms inevitably in my immediate future.

I enjoy the cold. I love the briskness of the stark clear nights when every wisp of humidity has evaporated into the freezing atmosphere and you can see every star. I love the heavy snowfalling air on the swirl days, when visibility retreats shivering to the end of your nose. I really love that I live less than five minutes away from my job -- though I don't love the nagging knowledge that I'll have to shovel a path across the yard to my car in the mornings. But it's winter, it's snowing, it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas, and it's so much better this year than last year when we were wearing T-shirts until January. This feels normal. It feels right.

It also reminds me that I've been at this job for just over sixteen months, and it's hard for me to believe I've ever worked anywhere else. I came in this morning after our Thanksgiving break ready to rock and roll, and I've already accomplished a bunch of little things around the office, and I'm preparing to roll up my sleeves and dig into the paperwork. I like getting up in the morning and coming to work. The office is always fast-paced, the clients are usually irritating, a lot of the attorneys are rude, but the fly-around stress is enjoyable for all of that. When I go home at the end of the day, I feel that I've done something.

I have grown up with the knowledge that I never wanted to enter the business world. I don't like all the phone calls and the emails, the ladder climbing and the futile ambition -- I don't like career. My bent has always been toward writing and the arts, which, sadly, no longer pay the bills. When I decided against teaching and decided against grad school, I felt a little lost, a little desperate -- I knew I didn't belong in the fields I had rejected, but I knew also that I didn't want a business career, and I didn't know where that left me.

So I bounced around just paying the bills. Looking back, I can't quite believe I did what I did, working nine months doing two part-time jobs in basic retail without health insurance -- I would never, ever do that again. But I learned so much, and really came into my own then, and I'm glad I chose it, and glad too that God was so vigilant and gracious during that year, and the years that followed.

I was so unhappy in my job doing events at the Center. It was everything I hated about business, combined with a whole lotta other crap I've blogged about before. But even without the negative environment and the nastiness and the conniving and the politics, I just didn't like the job. But I felt well and truly stuck -- what else was I supposed to do?

And now I'm here. I do secretarial work, sure, and it's not glamorous and there's no ladder-climbing, which matters to some people, but it's important work, it's stable, and I love it, and I love my bosses. I can't imagine doing anything else. I am fairly certain, as certain as one can be in life, that I'm going to be here for a long number of years, and that thought energizes me.

The bottom line is, I'm proud of my job. I hear people sneer at it when they think I can't hear, or demean other people in secretarial positions in my presence ("so-and-so is only a secretary"), and I know plenty of others who hold back the criticisms like levvies hold back the sea even if they don't say anything, who think I'm wasting my time and talents doing menial labor when I could be doing something so much better. These people don't have to say anything; their opinion comes screaming across the emotional barometer like a hurricane-force wind, even as they say faintly, "Well, I'm glad you're happy..." while their eyebrows contradict the idea that my happiness in such a job is even possible, any more than my happiness as a prostitute would be possible.

But I'm proud of my job. It takes a lot of mental acuity to do it well, and a great deal of attentiveness to someone else's style and someone else's needs, and a knowledge of someone else's habits to the point where I can know what he's going to need, whether a document or a file or a cup of coffee or someone on the telephone, before he knows it himself. It takes a tremendous amount of skill, a deft application of known factors and creativity, to make oneself an invisible presence of crucial importance for the smooth functioning of an office. And I can do just that. I can be there at his elbow with a cup of my excellent coffee just when he's becoming cognisant that he wants some, I can put the files for his next appointment on his desk and he never notices, I can have received a telephone call from some company we subpoenaed saying one little phrase was wrong and have it corrected and ready for him to sign before he even gets the message, I can receive entered orders back from the Court and have them served on all the interested parties before he's even seen the mail.

I can also get away with a lot. I know how he works, and so I know how to interrupt him when he's busy with something important. I can bug him about certain phone calls or documents that need to be made. I can make suggestions that he ordinarily wouldn't consider, and he'll consider them. In short, we work well together, and it's usually fun, and almost always rewarding.

If he were a horrible boss, the job would be thankless and wretched. But he notices, he always thanks me for everything, so my bid to be invisible never quite works -- which makes it, therefore, a challenge, a goal...and a cheerfully sneaky one.

And I'm smart. There are a lot of dumb secretaries out there. I've met them. Dumb and drab. But he's leaving more and more of the documents in my hands, giving me less and less instruction, and it's because, as he told me early on in the job, "You have a brain and you use it."

I'm no lawyer, but I'm getting snatches of the law, and it's fun and interesting, though nothing I'd choose for my own career. I like where I am, much as I liked chiefing makeup crew in my college theater days -- it's background work, but it's no less important for all that. And I prefer making others' performances possible.

I also have the opportunity to connect with other background workers like myself. Some of them are truly fantastic, and the ones who aren't make themselves the butt of good jokes. The really good ones know their place, know that they're not the lawyer or the judge, but know even better that the lawyer or the judge couldn't do his/her job without that competent, friendly secretary taking care of the small stuff.

So where I am is perfect for me. I'm paying the bills doing work I enjoy and believe in. And meanwhile I have plans for my computer and my fingers and the words and stories that flashpoint through my busy brain, and those aren't career goals; they're Alpine ambitions, divine callings, and I do keep the two separate, and they fit interestingly well together, like pieces of an insane puzzle that match just as your head is starting to ache and your eyes begin to cross.

So for the time being, here I stay, well and proudly.

7 comments:

LRuggiero_temp said...

Long live the secretaries! Erm, Administrative Assts!

Anonymous said...

I landed on your blog a few months ago from Erica's, and I keep coming back because I love what you write. There is something familiar about it, if that makes sense.
I graduated from GCC as well, and I also am a secretary. I feel the same way you do -- that while I may not be using my degree per se, I am an asset to my company, because I know where things are, I know what's going on, and without me, my boss would be a lot less organized. (For instance, he asks me things like, "Where are my glasses?," "Who did I meet with last week?," "What was I just thinking?"
Thanks for this post. It's nice to know that there are others from our overachieving college who realize that you don't have to go to grad school, or have some high-up corporate job in order to be doing something worthwhile. :)

The Prufroquette said...

Thank you, so much, anonymous, for your comment. Hooray for secretarial solidarity!

I love knowing more than my boss about where he put this or that thing -- he'll say to me, Where's that paper I was holding yesterday? and I'll be able to reply adroitly, Under your phone, and I'm usually right, even if I wasn't paying attention to the fact that he was even holding a paper yesterday. There's something satisfying about that -- a sort of automatic and unconscious awareness of the details of someone else's habits. You feel necessary.

What I like about the word "secretary" is that, obviously, it comes from the same root as "secret," and in fact the etymological denotation of the word means "secret keeper." When I think about that, it's truly a satisfying concept -- that I know and hold things no one else does; I'm a wealth of discreet information; I know everything that goes on and have the loyalty to keep it secret. A secretary used to be a big desk that held all of a person's important and personal documents and kept them safe; now a secretary is a person who performs the exact same functions in a much more relational and intelligent capacity. It's certainly honorable work.

And I'm so glad you're a fellow Grover who has gone on to realize that success is measurable in many different ways -- I feel a lot less lonely in my chosen position.

Here's to knowing the whereabouts of glasses!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your breakdown of the word secretary (this is the same anonymous from yesterday). I agree about feeling necessary. I didn't realize what an asset I am until I got back from vacation and asked one of my co-workers how the previous week had been. He replied, "Eh, it went," and seemed thankful that I was back. It is nice to know that the company functions better when I am around, that I am an integral part of its success.

And, it's so good to realize that I am more than my job. At the Grove I always felt like so many of my friends defined themselves by their major or their future job or grad school. Some acted as if their lives were nothing and they were worthless if they didn't get into said grad school or profession...it was hard to watch them not realize that they were so much more than a graduate degree or an occupation.

Anonymous said...

Secretaries, in a word, rock. I have very little patience for people who don't give them (or admin assistants, depending on your title, I guess) the respect they deserve -- it's one of the toughest jobs out there if you do it right, and it sounds like you are, in fact, rockin' it. More power to ya.

lvs said...

I love this post, mostly because it shows how content you are (and I love hearing about that), but because it glorifies a profession I believe needs to be glorified and denigrates the typical careerist bent of our society. I have always harbored an ambition to do secretarial work, because it seems like it would be the perfect job for me (and you too, it seems). If you have a good brain, you can do it well; it requires great organizational skills and would fulfill that NEED to organize that I have; it requires an ability to multi-task, which I love; and, best of all, I imagine that you often don't take anything home at night. (Then again, this might only be my idea of the job.)

I love teaching, but it's emotionally exhausting, and it never ends. I work during the day, and I work at home at night. I write on the weekends, or when I can steal a night to myself. I love the vacation time, but I feel I'm entitled to it. Sometimes, I'd just like to work to live, rather than live to work.

People forget that even teachers can be workaholics.

The Prufroquette said...

Oh my word, teaching is SO HARD. I realized this halfway through college, which is (partly) why I switched from English Ed to straight English my sophomore year. (Also because with the GCC Education double-major you only got to take the bare-bones English courses and I felt that I was a. being deprived of developing my deep love for literature and b. robbing any future students I might have of the fullest expertise I could afford them.) But then I realized that I just didn't want to teach.

Listening to my friends who do teach reinforces my decision, and deepens my admiration for those who CAN do it. Because you do a ton of work. When you're not preparing lessons (and so many school districts and colleges require EXTENSIVE, frivolous, pointless, overly detailed lesson plans and objectives before you can even begin taking your work into the classroom), you're teaching, and when you're not doing either of those, you're grading and attending meetings.

No, you're absolutely right, and one of the other things I really love about my job is that I DON'T take it home. I leave it all on my desk at the end of the day, put on my coat, and saunter (or drag my ass, depending on the pace of the day) outside for all the free time the evening has to offer. And I don't have to think about it, although I usually do, until I walk into work the next morning.

That's not to say that I don't work hard -- I really, really do, and many are the nights when my boss's wife and I hit the local restaurants for a glass of wine and some major planning sessions and troubleshooting of the way the office runs -- but it is to say that I do have plenty of freedom when I'm not within the walls of the office.

I hope someday you can have a job like this one, Linds, because from everything you wrote, it sounds like you'd be fairly happy and you'd certainly excel. You're right, there is something marrow-deep-satisfying about good organization. And there's a lot of flexibility involved as well, especially in a small office -- I have to keep changing my working style to find the one that works best.

The other thing I really love, and I imagine you would, too, is the problem solving that occurs. I think a Virgo derives a lot of pleasure from finding practical solutions to practical difficulties of all kinds, and there are always problems to solve in this kind of job. Big enormous problems, and teeny little problems, sometimes the solutions to which no one notices but you (and those are the best ones to solve, actually -- literally secrets of success).

And the best thing of all is how essential you are. The office can't function well without me. I feel badly when I have to miss a day here and there and everything goes kerflummox, but it's also gratifying to know how necessary you have become.

Thanks so much for your support! I'm glad there are fellow career skeptics out there...even if, for the time being, you gotta do what you gotta do. :)

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....