Wednesday, December 15, 2004

and then the silence

What? I haven't posted since Sunday? Oh that's right. I've been working. A lot.

Retail during the Christmas season is its own Charybdis of insanity. The ironic thing is that for the most part I've enjoyed it tremendously. The rush has shown me what I'm capable of, salesperson-wise. Turns out I'm not at all bad. Turns out I rather like it.

Life is funny. I would never, ever, in a million years have seen myself doing something like this AND loving it. It's great to be out here on my own, even with the ridiculous hours (most of next week I'll be getting out of work at midnight. Yes. Midnight), even with having little life to call my own. The women with whom I work are like family, and I get to be around so many interesting people.

I'm even beginning to enjoy Indiana. It will be nice if I can get a chance to leave South Bend and travel/explore a little more extensively, but the Midwest isn't the pit of monotony that I had thought. It has broad open skies, a new phenomenon which I love, and four seasons. The people are generally extremely decent. The pace is slower, but it's not awful.

We'll see where my life goes. I took the general GRE on Tuesday -- oh, was that yesterday? I forgot because I worked till close right after taking it -- and it kicked my ass. I think the verbal score is good enough for Notre Dame, but I'm not sure. Well, if worst comes to worst I'll just reapply next year.

Who knew I'd turn out to be an optimist? There are huge downsides -- like cooking for myself (booooring) and not having anyone to hug (wrenching), no health insurance and no cat -- but on the whole I'm enjoying this very much.


No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....