Friday, December 31, 2004

looking back ahead, janus style

Retail life is winding down at last and I find myself sagging along with it. Now that the mall isn't open till eleven p.m. and I don't have to keep myself going at completely cruel hours, my body is seizing the opportunity to let me know that it is tired. So tired I can hardly drive anywhere. Which is okay tonight, because I don't have to.

I longingly considered staying at home with some DVDs and greeting the new year in bed, but "I have promises to keep" and find that I don't want to spend New Year's Eve alone after all, so I'll be walking a few doors down to a coworker's apartment and hanging out with her and her roommates, nice and quiet. One of her roommates (random!) drinks yerba mate, so maybe I can scare some hot water and sugar up to take over.

My subject GRE scores indicate that grad school is at least a possibility. Truth be told, I'm very pleased with them, so I'll be working on my Notre Dame apps with a more upbeat and hopeful eye.

And -- hallelujah of hallelujahs -- I'm going home! January 7-11 is going to be my little holiday to drive home and see the people I haven't seen since August. I'll get to sneeze at and love up my cats and smell the home smells and sit around in my robe and drink coffee all I want.

Nine or ten years ago, bored with the self-improvement theme of New Year's Resolutions (because I was a constant self-improvement project to myself, if you can believe it knowing me now), I resolved never to make New Year's Resolutions. In the style of make-and-break them, I have broken that one to make a new one: More consistent devotions and a revamped financial plan. I'm saving up for a TV.

And a truly Sarah Peters moment to cap the drivel:

Yesterday I was helping a client look for a suit and she and her mother kept insisting on skirt suits, which of course we had run out of. I asked the reason why pant suits wouldn't work, and the mom said that a man who ran a business in her daughter's field told her he would be more inclined to hire a woman wearing a skirt suit. She added that another man who ran a business said the same thing.

My lips pinched. My eyes narrowed. I said, "Did you ask a woman who runs a business?"


I'm going to lose my job someday.

No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....