Tuesday, December 07, 2004

for an' what we have received, thank God.

In about an hour, after I have run to the post office, wherever that is (I have to look for one in Mishawaka; I hate South Bend proper), I will be debt free.

The short version of the story is this: Three years ago almost exactly, I was in a car accident with my mother on the way home for Thanksgiving break from Grove City. As we were passing a car on slippery I-79, it skidded and veered into us at a 90 degree angle, hitting my side of the car (Mom was driving) and knocking my head into the window. The result was permanent damage of a sort to the ligaments and tendons of my neck. So for the past three years we have been putting the screws to the other insurance company for compensation.

Last month it went through, and I received enough to pay off my GCC loan and my credit card bills. Today the check clears and I can make the final payments and celebrate my freedom, mostly by being just as poor as before but without the extra weight of a couple hundred dollars a month.

I'm watching a nuthatch and a squirrel running around in the bare woods. Nice to see something living besides myself.

No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....