Sunday, December 12, 2004

teas are a few of my favorite things

Incredible but true (if someone isn't playing a huge joke) ... Here follows an IM message from Brandon Carper today:

* * *
Here's a funny anecdote for you. A friend of mine is really into Annie Dillard, and he joked on his blog that, since she was too old for him to marry, he would like to marry her daughter instead. So one day Annie Dillard's daughter googled her name, found my friend's blog, and emailed him.
* * *

Now, if this isn't incredible. Too bad Annie Dillard doesn't have (as far as I know) a son.

In other news, I rediscovered the joy of Wal-Mart today. For the past four months, I have relentlessly donned mental blinders while shopping for necessary things like coffee creamer and broccoli and bread in Wal-Mart. I stripped the store of its wonder in order to accomodate my budget. But tonight, Jen, a wonderful friend whom I met through working at Gymboree, got off work at her other job at the Disney store at the same time that I got off from Ann Taylor, so we goofed around all evening and wound up at Wal-Mart. "I just need coffee creamer, eggs, and milk," I said. "I just need trash bags," she said.

Two hours later we left with two cartloads of what can only be termed stuff. A quick tunnel-visioned duck into the food section turned into a leisurely perusal of the Christmas decorations and drunken laughter over coffee and pickles. We wandered aimlessly from department to department, giggling loudly enough to attract friendly stares from the other customers; it was almost like days gone by when I headed off to Wal-Mart for hours of entertainment with Han and Kiki.

I had forgotten that Wal-Mart is one of my favorite places on earth. This is probably because I go to Wal-Mart alone now, and everyone knows that going to Wal-Mart alone is like going out to dinner alone. With a friend, it's as good as Disney World, minus the big scary red-shorted mouse. Something came unhinged in my diaphragm and my laugh was for once light and unforced. It was delightful. I was in such a good mood I laughed out loud and alone when I drove past a huge blow-up Santa passed out on the front porch of the house he was supposed to be cheering.

I am also pleased to report that my spendthrifting is now twenty-five dollars at a pop instead of forty-five like it was in college.

Off for my latest passion, a long saunautic bath with a burning candle and a book. Mmmm.

2 comments:

Evan said...

Glad you're pleased with the DVDs. It's nice to finally have a broadcast-quality Final Sacrifice. MST has been kinda bittersweet for me as of late though. Too many good attached memories from college not many from after college.

I've kinda been in a December funk anyway. Christmas and a lack of really close friendship has been dragging me down this year. I just have no desire for decorating, shopping, Christmas music, parties, etc. I've been feeling this constant pressure to turn my faith into a Hallmark card and I just want scream. I think our society desperately needs a Tom Waits Christmas CD that would just scare the bejeebus out of people. I'd like it anyway.

BTW, apparently Annie Dillard's father is in Night of the Living Dead. I learned that from Mike Nelson's commentary on my new DVD!

Evan said...

Here's the proof:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0229522/

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....