Tuesday, April 08, 2008

give to Caesar...

I remember last year's taxes. A great big flopping nightmare. Naturally, I waited till the last possible, possible minute before signing up for Turbo Tax online, paid through the nose for it, and spent two blurry evenings throwing papers around until my living room looked like the site of a celebration with oversize confetti.

This year some things changed. Maybe it's that I couldn't afford Turbo Tax this year and decided I'd better get my petuti in gear if I wanted to file myself without too much freaking out. Maybe it's that I only had one W-2 to take into account, and no more Health Savings Account. Maybe it's that I decided to cut to the quick and go for the 1040EZ instead of worrying about itemizations (I never have any that are worth squat anyway).

But it was even MORE complicated than last year -- filing in two states is a PAIN -- and yet somehow it was all streamlined and not terribly difficult. First, thank God for the internet and PDF forms, instruction booklets and all. Second, thank GOD for only one W-2. (I can't stress this enough. Changing jobs makes the next year's taxes suck.) Third, thank God for a couple years in the legal field which somehow makes sorting through the vague bureaucratic language a little easier. Finally, thank God for my mother who listened to my questions on the phone and helped double-check my math.

So I will probably, shockingly, be filing before the deadline. Woo-whee! All I have to do is get a couple of money orders together (ickgh. I hate owing. But I rest assured that in a month or so I'll be getting $600.00 for my efforts, so that's cool) and I'm ready to go.

I like doing things myself when I can, and I suppose in some ways I'm lucky to be making a small single person's income -- the paper trail (paper forest, rather) isn't all that dense.

I must confess I'll miss Indiana's Renter's Deduction. That was always a nice little thing to look forward to claiming.

No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....