Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I BEG your pardon?!

This is getting ridiculous.

I did laundry yesterday, which necessitated a trip to the downtown grocery store for quarters. On my way out I saw a guy I thought I knew through work, and said a bright and cheery hello (the guy I thought he was is married, so think friendly not flirtatious). He looked up. Wrong guy. I'd never seen this one before. But I could practically see his ears perk up. Crap.

I hurried out of the store muttering about needing to get my eyes checked. He followed me out (by the way, this guy is in his late thirties, at the least, kind of a hick, pockmarked face, bit of a creepy vibe) and asked my name and said I looked familiar and did I live in town?

I gave him vague answers, thinking, Oh no.

Oh yes.

He proceeded to ask if I were single. I said, "No." He said, "Oh, you got a boyfriend?"

"Yes." No, dummy, what else does "no" mean?

"That's too bad. You're a good-looking girl."

What am I, a prize sow? "Thanks."

"Do you date?"

Whaaaaat? "Not on my boyfriend." (I was too shocked to be as rude as I wanted to be looking back.)

"Oh, so you're faithful, huh?"

Duh, you fuckwit. "Absolutely faithful." (What kind of girl do I LOOK like?)

"Oh. Well, at least you're faithful."

Not that you'd get any anyway, creep. "Yup. Bye."

I got into my car while keeping a suspicious eye on him and thought, I just got PROPOSITIONED. In the GROCERY STORE PARKING LOT.

Sometimes the burka sounds appealing.

5 comments:

none said...

he he. Why are so many men so ridiculous? I'd love to be able to just say no and have that be enough.

The Prufroquette said...

Yeah, for real! Instead you have to work really hard to CONVINCE them that no, you don't want to sleep with them, no REALLY you don't, here are five hundred socially legitimate reasons WHY you don't, and...

Some days I'd love to just pull my pistol out of her holster and run my fingertip along the gleaming barrel and say, casually, "Nope. Any questions?"

Yax said...

I would say that I am embarrassed on behalf of my gender, but I don't think that guy could actually be human, so it doesn't count.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Matt that I don't believe that guy is even in the same species as people like Matt... or any other guy any of us actually KNOW. Haha. Way to have a life experience, Sarah. :-)

The Prufroquette said...

That's me -- Lady Life Experience! :)

You know, I always hear these kinds of stories and think, That doesn't actually happen, does it?

And then it happens to me. Maybe I should just start believing everything I hear.

He didn't look very human, let alone of the same race and breeding as gentlemen like Matt.

From under what rocks to these guys crawl to flock to my outraged door?

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....