Friday, April 04, 2008

Weather gray, raw, spitting rain. Cold - low 40s. I drove to work this morning determinedly listening to "Chicago" (the song, not the group) in pursuit of an uplift. One of the aspects I consistently love about that song is its flawless chordal compatibility with the ending refrain of "The Transfiguration."

I miss singing. I sing at church on an almost weekly basis, so I do get the good music in a bit, but...I miss the folk tunes, the indie music, I miss singing Gillian Welch and Josh Ritter and splashes of Modest Mouse and The Decemberists, I miss hymns and harmonizing and relaxing on the porch while somebody else plays the guitar (my attempts at self-teaching said instrument have taken a long hiatus).

I miss my piano. I miss sitting down and getting utterly lost in "Claire de Lune," I miss slamming out the Moonlight Sonata when I'm mad, I miss playing with the fabulous musical imagery in "La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin," the delicate longing whimsy in "Wild Rose." I yearn to run my fingertips over the pure flatness of the keys before starting the second movement of Grieg's Sonata in E Minor, Op. 7. I miss the slow building pressure of "Le Cathedral Engloutie." I miss "Nocturne in E-flat major."

I haven't played any of these in so long I don't care to think about it, and my skills have rusted badly, but...I have my childhood upright waiting for me at home when I can finally afford to have it shipped to where I live (when where I live has space that can accommodate it). The piano was such a good outlet for emotion -- and it keeps the fingers strong (once upon a time I could give tireless backrubs; now my hands wear out easily). And playing piano is essentially like riding a bike -- you never forget how. There's just a lot more discipline in getting back in the groove -- like an exercise regimen.

Someday, Gussie Mouseheimer. Someday.

2 comments:

Trey said...

I can’t express how much I love Sufjan. I did the exact same thing in the exact same conditions this morning. Unfortunately it didn’t work…

The Prufroquette said...

For me either. It's still cold, it's still gray, I'm still feeling bitter and sour and I just want to crawl in bed and pull the covers over my head and stay there until the sun comes out. Or I get hungry.

But Sufjan keeps holding it all together. I went through a pretty dark time at Christmas and "Snow Bird, Majesty" kept me going. Have you heard that one? I never cease to marvel at Sufjan's orchestral/symphonic sensibility. Or his devastating voice. Or his gorgeous lyrics.

Sigh. When -- when -- WHEN is he coming out with a new album? It's been TOO DAMN LONG...

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....