Tuesday, April 19, 2005

looking up

Today was much better than yesterday. The kids were relative angels -- well, maybe we should say textbook children; they ate when they were supposed to, went to sleep when they were supposed to, woke up when they were supposed to. And were in sunny moods.

I did have an interesting diaper experience. One of the babies was working pretty hard at producing solids in his diaper, so I waited for awhile while he turned red and grunted in his high chair. When I went to change him, there wasn't much to show for all that effort...until five seconds after I unwrapped him. I learned much more than I had really wanted to know about the up-close-and-personal workings of the human intestines, and narrowly avoided a spray in the face immediately afterward; but as I got away unmarred and the kid wasn't upset by any of the proceedings, I counted it a moment of scientific observation and went on with my day.

The real work started when I left my job at a quarter past four. I drove six boxes of already-loaded books to my new apartment, then came home right away to pack six more boxes of "other stuff" and drive that over. Twelve boxes might not sound like much, but when you're carrying them down two flights of stairs to your car, loading them, unloading them, and carrying them up another flight of stairs to deposit them in their new resting place, and doing all of that solo, it's quite a lot.

My back is stiff and sore, and in spite of the ridiculous heat (which we could cure with the flick of a switch but won't because it costs more money) I think I'm going to take a hot bath. I've only allowed myself two books over the course of the next week and a half; we'll see how I survive. (Those two sentences are related because I always bring a book with me to a hot bath.) But all in all I'm immensely pleased with myself; I don't think I've ever done anything this much in advance. And I mean that sincerely.

Rats...that last sentence reminded me of Eddie Izzard, whom I've packed away.

Ah well...time for a soak!

1 comment:

Mair said...

Last summer, I had a job helping to take care of brand new twins. They were 3 weeks old when I started. The little boy, had the same type of pooping problem. You would go to change his diaper, thinking it was done...and out it came! It was so strange. So, his mom and I started waiting and extra 5 or ten minutes before we changed him.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....