Thursday, April 28, 2005

the voyage out

As Rizzo the Rat would say, "I am in such pain!"

I've been lifting things and stepping over things and lifting things and moving things all night. My back and my knees (my knees! what am I, decrepit?) are telling me quite unequivocally that they have had it for the night. They want to say they've had it for the next week, but they know better.

The apartment is looking pretty stripped. All pictures are gone, the stereo and VCR are in boxes, everything is in some state of disassembly (Disassemble? No disassemble!) except of course the computer.

I will have limited access to the internet till May 11, when my new internet account kicks in for my apartment, so you may see me around spottily at best.

Come to think of it, I'm looking pretty stripped as well. Since the new place lacks a washer and dryer (which I will sorely miss), I'm doing every bit of laundry that I can think of before I move. Subsequently I am wearing no pants. And Marianne and I never did get a curtain for the living room sliding doors (opening onto the balcony overlooking the woods), so any creepy people out there that have been putting off peeking better get their eyeful now. Last chance.

Ow, my knees hurt. Ow, my knees hurt. However, in about thirty-six hours this horrendous, grumpy ordeal will all be over. I don't want to move again unless I leave South Bend or get married.

Speaking of which, I got an e-mail from Wretched Tim, very noncommittal (he offered to help me move and said he'd try to be there) and noticeably not a phone call. I'm beginning to revert to Original Opinion: He's a jerk. You can't be THAT clueless. (Can you?)

And if so, why did he tell me, in our last conversation, to call him if I ever want to go furniture shopping after I move? What kind of crackhead is he? And who offers to go furniture shopping with someone?

Lame-O.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

In an episode of Seinfeld, Elaine Benes once took offense at a boyfriend buying her a mattress ...

lvs said...

My vote: inconsistent and wants to appear indifferent to project some illusion of control. This does not bode well. Steer clear.

la persona said...

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah. Haven't you ever read "I Kissed Dating Goodbye." Furniture shopping is the oldest line in the book! It's right up there with, "Well, I wouldn't want to do anything that would damage our friendship..." (speaking of a physical relationship). Yeah, right. If given the opportunity, he'd damage it in a heartbeat. I say keep your wits about you on this won--I've never known you to fall for a cliche.
-J

la persona said...

Eh, that should read "one" in my last post, of course. Presumably, he hasn't captured anything yet.

Mair said...

"I Kissed Dating Goodbye" is the worst book ever written and will only make people overwrought with fear that should they even look upon a person whom they might not end up marrying, they will ruin all chances of a healthy relationship and quite possibly may burn in hell for the sin of lust.

May I also add, that now, in his thirteen follow-ups to the original book, Joshua Harris is bound to insist that this method works and his marriage is the best ever - or else he would be exposed for the wacko that he is.

So, Sarah - go with your gut. If you go out on a date or two with Tim and it doesn't work out, life is not over.

la persona said...

Seriously, though, would she really want a husband whose clueless inconsistencies drove her crazy everyday of the year. Point being, regardless of the merits of the book, this guy needs to get his act together fast or he'll just become a total waste of mental energy.

The Prufroquette said...

As it appears a request for a date will happen at about the same time as another worldwide flood, I shouldn't have to worry too much about dates not working out.

Excellent advice, all of you. Gut is saying also, steer clear.

So, that is that. Thanks and I'll see all of you in about two weeks!

Mair said...

See that's the very problem with "I Kissed Dating Goodbye." No one is talking about husbands here - we're talking about a guy Sarah barely knows, thinks is attractive, but has reservations about. In no such way should this be thought of as a "potential husband" situation. That is absurd and immature. Also, just for the record, no matter who your husband is, there will be something about him that drives you nuts everyday.

AE said...

Sarah, don't leave me for two weeks. I live on your blog. BTW, there's no committment with this guy, why should he have to call all the time. let it just be a friend for now, with no intentions. Let him help you move for heavens sake, don't want your knees too damaged. If he thinks there's somthing there, and he's got any wits, he'll get his act together. He just doesn't think he needs to yet. (cause he has no idea how freak'n sweet and cool and amazing you are.)

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....