Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Excuse me, do I know you? --No.

I must have "one of those faces." At least three times a week a total stranger approaches me either to tell me that I remind her of someone she knows, or to ask if she's met me before. It's very frustrating to be kind and polite and understanding and hold back from saying, "NO, you weirdo. Lemme alone" after four or five episodes of this in a day.

Plus, when someone says, "You really remind of me so-and-so" ("so-and-so" being anyone from a sibling to a cousin to a cousin's best friend to a niece to a daughter-in-law to an old college acquaintance), I always wonder to what extent that's complimentary. I'm sure it generally is. But people even comment on my mannerisms reminding them of someone else. What am I, a blueprint to half of humanity? Or a carbon copy?

Or maybe I'm part of the collective unconscious. Haha.

The strangest part of this ongoing saga occurred sometime last week. I was working at Ann Taylor straightening hangers at the front of the store when a girl drifted by; our eyes met and I smiled, as I will do. I looked down at the hangers and when I looked up she was marching straight toward me.

"What's your name?" she demanded.

I'm sure my face was blank for about a second -- who says that? -- but then it rearranged itself into polite lines and I said, "Sarah."

"Where you at that party two weeks ago?"

"No." (...)

"Because I've met you. Do you go to Saint Mary's?"

"No."

"Oh. Where do I know you from?"

(Shoot me now. She had an abrupt, awkward mien, the kind of girl who hasn't really socialized well, and always looks grumpy. Also hard to convince that NO, she doesn't know me.)

"I don't actually think I've met you before."

"Oh." Here she looked suspicious that I was thwarting her. "Okay. Sorry."

"No, no problem. It happens all the time." I smiled and extricated myself from that corner of the store as quickly as possible, calling, "Have a good day" as I went.

Yicgh. Why???

Oh and it's never men who do this. I don't ever remind men of someone they know. No, it's only the women.

6 comments:

Mair said...

Sarah! The same EXACT thing happens to me all the time. It's sooo weird. Once I had a woman in a public bathroom ask me if I was her cousin's girlfriend. I was so tempted to say, "well, I was, but we broke up." hahaha. But, instead I just said, "No." It is an annoying thing, isn't it?? It's also sort of sad, because I'd like to think I am more unique - but apparently, I'm not. Although, at times, if I'm feeling stuck up enough, I'm tempted to say, "No, you don't know me. You just wish you did." How awful is that???? I mean, what kind of distgusting, vain person would even think of saying something like that??? I'm so embarassed....

But, I think it's your enticing smile and infectious laugh that draw people to you. :o)

Music Trades said...

Heh. For me it's always some perfect stranger thinking I look like one of several Hollywood actresses - some really hot and others definitely not. So far I've gotten Kate Winslet, Goldie Hawn, Anna Chlumsky from "My Girl," Brooke Shields (That one I don't see at all unless they think anyone with light skin and dark eyebrows looks like Brooke Shields), and... drumroll please!... Kirstie Alley! You can only imagine what that last one didn't do for my self esteem.

Anonymous said...

i'd like to think that in the world of the forms, there is a spot for 'circle', 'square', 'tree', dog', 'walnut', & 'sarah' ...

and that somehow, the 'sarah' form accidentally wandered off from the rest of the forms (probably chasing a stray butterfly-form) and accidentally fell into the cave with the rest of us, throwing all of humanity into a bedlam of mass hysteria ... or slightly awkward recognition.

Anonymous said...

Gurg. This is where I eloquently tie in your last two posts by telling you that I also remind people of people, and in high school that people was often Celine Dion. Gurg.

Anonymous said...

Gurg. Unmannered people who look used to look like Celine Dion shouldn't hit enter so fast. Gurg.
drb

lvs said...

You remind me of an otter.

When you work in a restaurant you're always seeing people who think they recognize you... and then you realize that they really do. That's even scarier.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....