Saturday, March 05, 2005

when the dog bites

It's one of those "I need to seriously overhaul my life" seasons.

Today is starting with the search for a better job. Well, actually today is starting with writing the resume necessary to begin the search for a better job. Well...okay, so I've found what looks like a better job, and I'm going to apply for it, as soon as I've written the resume that the online application asks for.

Why on earth don't you already have a resume, you ask? There's no good answer except that I've gotten away with not having one so far. Why write something I don't need? Only now I do.

These are classic English major procrastination skills at work. Now the even more classic writing-while-under-pressure skills are working harder. Since I work all day today and all day tomorrow, the goal is to have the resume done and the application sent by Monday. I've made some good headway and will be working on it at every opportunity between now and then.

I just heard about this job yesterday and it sounds pretty good...much better than the hours I keep now, for minimal pay. Mom liked the sound of it, and since Mom is my barometer of wisdom/folly, I'm going for it. Ideally I'll be able to keep my job at Ann Taylor and quit my job at Gymboree. Then I'll be able to afford my own small place (and hopefully a cat).

To top everything off, possibly I blew it with the latest guy. A pox on my shyness. Though in all fairness it would have helped if he'd left messages when he called. See, when I work up the nerve to call (like I did yesterday), I leave a message so that the callee knows that I desire a call back. (Common sense should have told you he wanted a call back! you say. Well, probably. But still, it's nice to get a message. Even one that says "Hey it's me, call me back.")

Well, we'll see. I waited too long to call him. Part of me throws out her hands and says, come on, what's the rush? Another part of me (the part that knows better?) hangs her head and kicks at the carpet, knowing darn well that cowardice is not its own excuse.

(Next time? Next time?)

7 comments:

la persona said...

Hate to say it Sarah, but maybe
he's just not that into you.

It could be worse. Like, having relational traumas of Freudian proportions in college, only to graduate, pledge to never love again, and then to fall for a charming lovely man only to find out months later that the has a wife and seven (yes, you read that right--SEVEN) children at home. Some of whom are probably older than me.

Yes, Sarah, take it from the master of you-asked-for-it angst: it could be a lot worse. Wait out for a guy who cares about you enough to send you clear messages. You deserve so much more.

Yours-

la persona said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
la persona said...

Hate to say it Sarah, but maybe
he's just not that into you.

It could be worse. Like, having relational traumas of Freudian proportions in college, only to graduate, pledge to never love again, and then to fall for a charming lovely man only to find out months later that the has a wife and seven (yes, you read that right--SEVEN) children at home. Some of whom are probably older than me.

Yes, Sarah, take it from the master of you-asked-for-it angst: it could be a lot worse. Wait out for a guy who cares about you enough to send you clear messages. You deserve so much more.

Yours-

la persona said...

Hate to say it Sarah, but maybe
he's just not that into you.

It could be worse. Like, having relational traumas of Freudian proportions in college, only to graduate, pledge to never love again, and then to fall for a charming lovely man only to find out months later that the has a wife and seven (yes, you read that right--SEVEN) children at home. Some of whom are probably older than me.

Yes, Sarah, take it from the master of you-asked-for-it angst: it could be a lot worse. Wait out for a guy who cares about you enough to send you clear messages. You deserve so much more.

Yours-

la persona said...

Wow! I must have hit that "publish" button a little too earnestly. Any way you can delete the redundance, Sarah?

lvs said...

Does La Mendola still go by Joey these days? :-) You girls are my bastions of strength in this male world. Good luck with the resume darling... I feel you. Your pain and your joy.

The Prufroquette said...

Hm, nope Joey, looks like the removing is all you. (Darn it, I keep hearing "He's just not that into you." Except that this guy has actually been calling; just never leaving messages. And what?! SEVEN children? How do these things happen?!)

And argh! Lindsay! What is it with this stupid necessity for resumes?? You should just look at me and be able to tell I'm great. If I have to tell you, YOU should be writing the resume.

Haha.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....