Wednesday, March 09, 2005

this day...

...was planned at a board meeting in hell. Either that or a drunken bumblebee took possession of my body for eight hours. I wavered all day between laughing at myself and wanting to crawl into a hole.

So, thanks to my too-late hours last night (among other things) today I tripped half the total number of my taken steps, bumped into every available hard surface, and dropped anything I was holding for more than four seconds. Generally (as I have before noted) I'm not known for my poise and grace; today, however, made me look like someone had rearranged my inner ear.

I didn't break anything except the lining of my pants. Pants that had, mere minutes before, had a whole container of Gloria Jean's coffee dropped all over them when I misjudged the angle of the cup and the lid. (Thankfully they're a pebbled tweedy browns-and-black material, so a little more brown here and there isn't noticeable.) But when I crouched down to clean out the backroom's refrigerator as requested by Deborah, the lining, always a little too tight for my comfort, split right up the ass. For one horrible second I thought the pants themselves had ripped and was mortified at the notion of having to buy a new pair of pants right then, which would have been truly tragic as every pair in the store is at least two inches too short. But it was only the lining, which proceeded to give me a hanging wedgie for the rest of the day.

Obviously being so tired that I have to pay conscious attention to my every movement doesn't work for me. I can barely pay attention to the rhythms of life as it is. Switching to an earlier rising time has been wreaking havoc on my sense of balance....although, if you ever find the world tilting at a funny angle when you're walking, just use your arms like feelers. It helps reorient you.

The good news, and it's the best news I've had in a year, is that Eric and Kristin are getting married in June!!!

1 comment:

lvs said...

You know those light up buzzy things they give you when you have to wait at a restaurant? We keep them in tall piles under the host desk. Last night I knocked them over three times with my knee - loud and clattery all over the stone tiled floor.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....