Thursday, March 10, 2005

there's a hole in the bucket, dear liza, dear liza

I dropped the coffee again today.

Fortunately they were the mossy green pants that absorb brown like water. Fortunately also, I jumped (or rather, stepped resignedly backward) out of the way in time, so the impact only managed to slap a wave of coffee over my hems and feet. More fortunately yet, when I do something embarrassing in public, people are more inclined to sympathize, tease, and oo and ahh (I once told my dad that if I can't be graceful, I can at least be clumsy and cute) rather than deride and lambast, so the coffee gals graciously mopped up my spill and replaced my coffee gratis, all with smiles.

It turns out they got a new shipment of lids that are a teensy bit smaller then the rim of the cups, so I feel partially vindicated, especially because I've never spilled the coffee there before, not even a little, let alone allowed two full cups to skid out from under my fingers and explode on the floor.

I had the manager put the lid on for me.

In other news, I find myself engaged in tutoring our frightening little stockwoman's thirty-something still-living-at-home son in English writing. Vera was in a positively jovial mood today, chattering and gesturing to me in the backroom while I cooled my heels on break and she steamed our latest shipment, and even though I understood about three-fifths of what she said, I did gather that she wanted to know if I knew anyone who could help her son with writing. "He good speaking, he fine speaking, but he no write, he need help," she said. "You know girls can help him?" I thought for a minute and ventured, "I could do it."

So now we're going to set up a day where I'll follow her home from work and help this son in his writing. Hell, why not? This whole thing is an adventure, right? And she said she'll make dinner.

I just hope this isn't some creepy set-up.

So. Pending my response from Notre Dame...if I don't get in, should I move to Maryland and teach English at Hannah Fischer's school?

It sounds like a possibility. Once again, I just need to write a resume.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'll send mine if you send yours ...

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....